LINDORES ABBEY DISTILLERY
LOOKING FOR WHOLESALERS/DISTRIBUTORS & STOCKISTS N.IRELAND & S.IRELAND
TEL: +44 (0) 1337 842547 CONTACT: HELEN
A NEW ERA
Today, our Aqua Vitae is distilled in pot stills and then infused with a blend of spices and herbs, including cleavers, lemon verbena, douglas fir and sweet cicely, which all grow in our gardens, amidst the grounds of the ancient Abbey.
Entirely natural, with no added sugars.
Initial light top notes of peach and pear, give way to masses of ginger, clove and cinnamon spice. Rich, caramel sweetness and some lovely light herbal notes on the finish. Complex and rewarding.
Enjoy Aqua Vitae simply over ice with a twist of orange, or in a longer drink with plenty of fresh mint and a small amount of sugar syrup, topped with soda water.
In the 13th century one Theoricus wrote a proper treatise in praise of the wonders of the spirit:
‘…it sloeth age, strengtheneth youth, it helpeth digestion, it cutteth fleume, it abandoneth melancholy, it relisheth the hart, it lighteneth the mynd, it quickeneth the spirites, it cureth the hydropsie, it healeth the strangury, it pounceth the stone, it expelleth gravell, it puffeth away all ventositie, it kepeth & preserveth the hed from whirlyng, the eyes from dazelyng, the tongue from lispyng, the mouth from mafflyng, the teeth from chatteryng, the throte from rattling, the weasan from stieflyng, the stomacke from wambling, the belly from wirtchyng, the guts from rumbling, the hands from shivering, the sinowe from shrinking, the veynes from crumpling, the bones from akyng, the marrow from soaking.’
High praise indeed! Easy to see why we decided to recreate this remarkable spirit.
ON THE BANKS OF THE TAY
Lindores Abbey, or the ‘Church by the Water’, was founded in 1191 by David Earl of Huntingdon, on land overlooking the Estuary of the River Tay, given to him by his brother King William I.
It was built with local red sandstone, and covered a very large area, the extent of which is still discernible today, although many of the buildings to the South have been destroyed. The position for the Abbey would have been chosen because of its plentiful supply of timber and stone, and for the swift running waters of the Pow of Lindores running over the land down to the Tay.
A WEALTHY AND POWERFUL PLACE
The Abbey traded both locally and with the wider world, as far afield as Flanders. Salmon from the Tay, wool and fruit were exchanged for money, tapestries and silks, sometimes through middlemen or negotiators, like the Baillies of Lindores.
Many of these transactions are recorded. For instance, we know that in 1507 the Abbot sent his man with ‘plowmyss’ for King James IV who was staying, as he often did, at Falkland Palace nearby. On this occasion the King paid 3 shillings.
The Abbot of Lindores was a very powerful man and had complete jurisdiction over his territory which, by 1266, included the burgh of Newburgh.
His authority and position meant that he was involved in both political and commercial life beyond the Abbey walls.
At its peak, the Abbey owned property across England and Scotland for which it received large rentals. Great wealth was also amassed during the Crusades, when knights and noblemen paid the monks of Lindores to pray for their souls and the souls of their families for all eternity, keeping a candle alight in perpetuity.
GET IN TOUCH